It all started back in 1947 when Wilfred Lapointe bought a small sawmill bordering Rigg's Brook on North Belfast Road.
It wasn't long before two of his sons Normand and Roland were working with him at the saw mill and cutting logs in the woods.
In 1955 the two brothers bought the sawmill from their father and began operating it on their own. The purchase included the old sawmill, a few saws, a few logs out back and an empty cash drawer. Because of their hard work and skill Lapointe Lumber survived and prospered. Over the years the business gradually shifted from the sawmill to retail lumber and building material sales. Eventually the sawmill was phased out.